Application guidance notes - Vehicle dropped crossing (S184)

The process

Phase 1- The vehicle crossover application- to be completed by the homeowner.

Determining your application

Once your Application Form has been received with the associated fee, East Sussex Highways will begin to carry out our assessment. Due to the high number of applications we receive, it can take up to 8 weeks to determine your application. You will receive a decision by email or post on or before the determination date already advised.

Application approval

Once we have received your application an officer will carryout a site inspection, if the officer identifies any issues with your proposal they may try to contact you via phone. If you do not wish to be contacted via phone please indicate this on your application.

After the site visit has taken place the officer will decide if permission can be granted. If there are any other conditions to consider, such as street lights/furniture, street trees, parking bay restrictions this will be referred to the relevant team.

If your application is successful, we will issue you with a Vehicle Crossover Licence. The Licence is valid for 6 months and our standard terms and conditions (opens in a new window) will apply along with any site-specific conditions for your contractor to note.

Application rejection

If your application is refused, you will receive correspondence explaining the reason for the refusal. No refunds are given based on the decision. If you wish to reapply to address the reasons for the refusal you must complete phase 1 again with a new application form and fee. Our decision as to whether the application is approved or refused is final and appeals will not be considered.

Choose a contractor

Once you have received your Vehicle Crossover Licence, it is valid for a period of 6 months. You now need to appoint a contractor who must complete the vehicle crossover construction (phase 2) within 6 months if this is not completed you will need to reapply under phase 1 with a new form and fee. You must use a Buy With Confidence approved contractor. These contractors are registered with our Trading Standards ‘Buy With Confidence’ (BWC) scheme and as such have been vetted to deliver a good quality, reliable and professional service. Contractors who are not registered are welcome to apply to do so and we will also accept contractors who are registered outside of East Sussex County Council’s jurisdiction. All BWC registered contractors are accredited in accordance with the New Roads & Street Works Act 1991 and hold the necessary £10 million Public Liability Insurance.

List of approved third party contractors


Phase 2- The Vehicle crossover construction- to be completed by the contractor

Please be aware that even if a licence has been issued, the vehicle crossing works will not be permitted to commence until your driveway/hard-standing has been constructed.

Once you have appointed your contractor, it then becomes their responsibility to seek our consent to start work. They must do this by completing the vehicle crossover application (phase 2) They will notify us of his proposed start date and duration of works using this application.

A minimum of 10 day’s notice is usually required, unless multi phase traffic control is needed which requires 21 days’ notice.

Works must not begin until the licence for phase 2 has been issued along with copies of the plans showing the location of all utility companies plant.

It is an offence under Section 131 and 133 of the Highways Act 1980 for any persons to unlawfully open the highway.

The notice period allows us time to check that there is no conflict with other works that may be planned on the highway network at that time.

During the works

It is the responsibility of the contractor to ensure that the works are carried out to the correct standards both in terms of workmanship and health & safety requirements. The signing and guarding of the works to the correct standards also remains the responsibility of the Contractor.

East Sussex Highways may carry out at any time on site inspections. If we are not satisfied with any standards we reserve the right to stop works and request any adjustments required.

Completion of the works

When the works are completed the contractor will confirm this to us by notification within the Phase 2 licence process. If we are satisfied with the works, we will issue you a Completion Certificate, which confirms that the vehicle crossing has been constructed correctly and is fit for proper use. You should keep this letter safe, as you will require it to prove the crossover is legal.

Paying your contractor

It is your sole responsibility to pay the contractor for the works undertaken. East Sussex Highways will not become involved in any financial arrangements made between you and your contractor.

Adoption of the works

The contractor is responsible for a 12-month maintenance period of the works, which starts on the issue of the Completion Certificate, provided that the works are kept defect free, East Sussex Highways will automatically assume responsibility at the end of this period.