Winter safety advice
What should I do to prepare my vehicle for winter?
Make sure you prepare your car before the winter comes.
- Check the tread of your tyres - find out more.
- Check windscreen wipers and washers.
- Make sure you have de-icer and a scraper in your car - find out more on your car winter kit.
How can I be safer on the road during winter?
- Reduce your speed
- Charge your mobile phone before setting off
- Keep water, food, a blanket and sturdy shoes in your car
- Do not drive through flood water - it may be deeper than you think.
What can I do to help?
- Report any hazards, fallen trees, or flooded roads to us.
- Clear the pavement of snow and ice outside your house, if safe to do so, (and your neighbours!) to make it safer for everyone.
- Don't use hot water to melt ice on pavements! It will refreeze and be dangerous on the path.
- We do not have the resources to routinely grit footpaths or pavements. We encourage residents to refer to the “snow code” on the Met Office website when considering clearing ice or snow from pathways and drives.
- You can find out more about grit bins in East Sussex and how to request a new one.